home *** CD-ROM | disk | FTP | other *** search
/ Cream of the Crop 25 / Cream of the Crop 25.iso / bbs / pcsuni1.zip / VOTER404.ZIP / VOTE.DOC < prev    next >
Text File  |  1997-03-24  |  10KB  |  216 lines

1.       ▄▄▄ ▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
  2.       █ █ █ █ █ ▄▄▄ █ █▄▄ ▄▄█ █ ▄▄▄▄█ █ ▄▄▄ █  ▄█▀█▄ ▄█▀█▄
  3.       █▄▀█▀▄█ █ █▄█ █   █ █   █ ▄▄▄█▄ █ ▄▄ ▄█  █▄ ▄█ █▄ ▄█
  4.        ▀█▄█▀  █▄▄▄▄▄█   █▄█   █▄▄▄▄▄█ █▄██▄▄█   ▀▀▀   ▀▀▀   v4.04
  6.             Copyright (c)96,1997 by Practical Computer Services
  7. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
  9.   Q: What is voter++?
  10.   A: A full featuered voting door for your users to voice their opinions!
  12.   Q: Is this thing hard to set up?
  13.   A: Only if you are dead!  Setup time is under 2 minutes, and that also
  14.      includes  the time it takes to grab a coke from the refrigerator and
  15.      to read these docs!
  17.   Q: Do I have to pay to use this program?
  18.   A: You had to ask?  Yes, but that stuff is at the end of these docs.
  20.   Q: Can we get on with the install?
  21.   A: OK...OK...Here it is in a nutshell.
  23. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
  25.   1: create a directory somewhere on your hard drive, in example:
  26.         MD C:\PCB\PPE\VOTE
  28.   2: Unzip your copy of voter++ into this directory you just created, IE:
  29.         PKUNZIP VOTERxxx.ZIP C:\PCB\PPE\VOTE
  31.   3: Edit the VOTE.CFG file to reflect the info that needs to be changed,
  32.      a full description is after these instructions.
  34.   4: Load up PCBSETUP and place Voter++ into your CMD.LST.  This is done by
  35.      typing PCBSETUP, then hit "B" for "File Locations", then hitting another
  36.      "B" for "Configuration Files", then using your cursor key to go down 8
  37.      selections until you get to "Name/Loc of Default CMD.LST File  :" Here you
  38.      either have a CMD.LST file, list if not, type in CMD.LST, then hit F2 to
  39.      get you into the CMD.LST editor, this will look like this:
  41.                                   File Locations
  43.        Command     Security  PPE/MNU File -or- Keystroke Replacement
  44.           ══════════════  ════════  ═══════════════════════════════════════
  45.           1) VOTE                0     C:\PCB\PPE\VOTE\VOTE.PPE
  47.      Enter the required info so it looks like the above, and hit ESC to get out
  48.      of their, make sure you answer Y to save it.
  50.   5: Now change to the Voter++ directory, and unzip the file called QUESTION.ZIP
  51.      once you do then you will have to edit the Sample QUE files for your
  52.      own questions and answers, (although these are some good questions and
  53.      should be good enough for your users to get the taste of voting!)Please
  54.      note that your Questions should remain under 71 characters in length,
  55.      while the answer lines should be under 65 characters each.
  57.   6: You have two choices for this one, I would recommend taking a look at
  58.      both options (they are both a snap to try out).  These choices are as
  59.      follows:
  62.   (a)If you want to let your users know the booths they haven't voted on yet,
  63.      just put a call (like !c:\pcb\ppe\vote\newbooth.ppe) into your security
  64.      specific files for the users you want to notify.  it will read in the
  65.      VOTE.CFG file and take it from there, no muss - no fuss!  Zero Maintenance.
  67.   (b) *the new method*  In your security specific file, place a call to the
  68.       actual VOTER++ ppe, like this !C:\PCB\PPE\VOTE\VOTE.PPE BLT
  69.       Note the BLT on the end, that is our command line to tell Voter++ to
  70.       skip running the door and to just display a nice graphic screen to your
  71.       user, this screen will let them know how many questions are available
  72.       and how many they have voted on, it is very fast, and very unobtrusive.
  73.       give it a try!
  75.   7. If you want a Full Color Bulletin for your users, you will need to go in
  76.      to pcbsetup and designate the bulletin you want to give to Voter++, then
  77.      place the path and name of the bulletin into your VOTE.CFG line 7.
  78.      Can't get any easier than this!
  80.   7: Go give it a try!
  82. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  83.                      What are all those different files for?
  85. Ok here is a listing of the files that came with Voter++, they are:
  87. SYS_HELP.DSP - A help file for the sysop functions in the Secret Sysop Menu.
  88.     HELP.DSP - A help file for your users, short and sweet, but tells it all.
  89.     VOTE.CFG - Your Voter++ Config file, a full description after this.
  90.     VOTE.PPE - This is the program file, lovinglny crafted by Bill Marcy.
  91.     VOTE.PRM - Sysop modifiable prompts (see Prompt Section).
  92. NEWBOOTH.PPE - To let your users know what they haven't yet voted on.
  93. VOTEGRAF.PPE - Bulletin Generator that is called by Voter++. Setup and forget!
  94. SECURITY.LST - A security list file for disallowing booth creation.
  95. QUESTION.ZIP - This is a zip with all of the sample question in it!
  96.    VOTE1.QUE \
  97.    VOTE2.QUE  \
  98.    VOTE3.QUE   - these (along with unlimited number) are your question files.
  99.    VOTE4.QUE  /
  100.    VOTE5.QUE /
  102. In addition to these files, Voter++ will automatically build a few more files
  103. these are VOTE.ANS, which are the vote files, these are read by Voter++ to get
  104. the totals for the vote.  there is also a VOTE.NAM file, which is basically a
  105. log of who voted, when they voted, and how they voted, this is used by VOTER++
  106. to DIS-allow a user from voting on the same question twice, so, if you change
  107. a question manually, make sure you delete the corresponding VOTEX.NAM file!
  109. The config file looks like this:
  111. 26                           ;The total number of Questions you will have
  112. Joe Sysop                    ;Sysops full name
  113. Your BBS Name Here           ;BBS Name
  114. 0000001                      ;Registration Number
  115. YES                          ;Allow your users to create new booths
  116. 1                            ;Counter for the total number of users voting
  117. C:\PCB\GEN\BULL\BLT10        ;The bulletin you want created by VOTEGRAF
  120. Line by line, it goes like this:
  122. Line 1 - this is the total number of voting booths you plan on having, there
  123.          is a no limit to booths, more can be added if you really need it, but
  124.          I couldn't come up with enough ideas for more than 26 sample booths,
  125.          so that was the number I used.  Make sure that you change this number
  126.          to reflect the total number of voting questions you plan on having.
  128. Line 2 - This is the sysops Full Name, if you haven't gotten a registration
  129.          number from me, It really doesn't matter what you put in here, but
  130.          if you have gotten a reg number, make sure it is exactly the same as
  131.          the name you gave for the reg number, including case.
  133. Line 3 - Your BBS name, this will be displayed once you have registered, if you
  134.          haven't registered, it is unimportant.
  136. Line 4 - This is your unique registration number, you can see the end of these
  137.          docs on how to get this immediately.  It is easy and quick, and it
  138.          removes the (only slightly) annoying delay at the beggining of the
  139.          program load.
  141. Line 5 - If you have YES in config line 5, Voter++ will present an additional
  142.          menu choice to your users (it will place it in the Secret Hidden Sysop
  143.          Menu choice for us sysops), which will allow them to create a new
  144.          booth.  I don't think any of us want them to be able to delete a
  145.          booth, or to edit an exisitng booth, but where is the harm in allowing
  146.          them to build a new one.  But, if you are against that Idea, just
  147.          place a NO in there and no option will be shown to them, they won't
  148.          even know what they are missing.
  150. Line 6 - This is the counter that gets incremented everytime a voter enters
  151.          the Voter++ door, it is all automatic, so no need to worry about it.
  153. Line 7 - This is the full path and name of the bulletin that you want VOTEGRAF
  154.          PPE to create.  Every time your voting users exit Voter++, the
  155.          Votegraf.PPE will regenerate the bulletin you specify, keeping your
  156.          users up-to-the-minute aware of what the popular consensus is!
  157.          This is a set up and forget feature, as you only have to give the
  158.          bulletin name and path once.  Enjoy!
  160. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
  161. VOTE.PRM and what is it for?
  163. The VOTE.PRM file is a file of all sysop modifiable prompts, feel free to
  164. change them to reflect the language that your country speaks, but please
  165. make sure that the prompt is the same lenght (or shorter) as some of these
  166. prompts are shoe-horned in as it is.  In most cases you can go over the
  167. original prompt length by 3 maybe 4 characters, but over that and they will
  168. ruin your display.  You can edit the VOTE.PRM file with any ascii editor,
  169. but I recomend using PCBEDIT by Clark Development as it allows you to modify
  170. color at the same time (and really is the best editor to use when working
  171. with anything relating to PCB).
  172. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  174. How to contact the author, and how to get a Reg number:
  176. You can reach me via Internet E-Mail at:
  178.                       bob.watson@tao.com
  180. or visit our web site at:
  182.                       http://www.nerc.com/~pcs/
  184. or you can call my bbs at:
  186.                      (609)587-2672 USR DS 33.6K
  188. We have a key generator up for people to use. Just type KEY to
  189. generate your own reg number. Universal keys are also available.
  191. Please feel free to leave comments with anything that you want to see
  192. added to Voter++. We have many plans for this program and rest easy,
  193. your reg number will be good for all versions.
  195. How much does this thing cost anyway?
  197. Registration:
  199. Voter++ took me about a year and a half  to get where it is now,
  200. I am hoping that you find it easy to setup, convenient for your users to
  201. use and worth the $20.00 I am asking for it.  If not, well, what can I
  202. say? You will have to remove it from your system after you decide you do
  203. not want to pay for it, which would really disappoint me, as I am really
  204. looking forward to seeing your $20.00 check in my mailbox.  Please remit
  205. the register.frm and payment to:
  207.      Practical Computer Services
  208.      483 Klockner Road
  209.      Hamilton, NJ 08619
  211. Make all checks payable to: PRACTICAL COMPUTER SERVICES
  213. Checks and money orders are welcome.  US funds ONLY!
  214. None of you are going to send me a bad check, so I trust you. <G>